Sunday, November 16, 2008

Lemon Chicken

1 to 1.5 lb of boneless skinless chicken breasts
seasoned bread crumbs
juice of 1-2 lemons (fresh lemons) Depends on how much lemon flavor you want.
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup dry sherry *
2-3 chicken bullion cubes

Flatten chicken with a meat tenderizer so it is all the same thickness. It will cook better and more evenly if you don't skip this step! I usually cut each breast in half, if not smaller (quarters). Moisten with water and then coat in bread crumbs. I usually use a shallow bowl.

Brown chicken on both sides in skillet in a bit of veg. oil. Add lemon juice, sherry, water, and bullion cubes. Simmer covered for about 30 min. If needed cook for another 10 min or so without the lid to thicken the sauce.

Serve over or with white rice. The sauce is great mixed up with rice!

*I ALWAYS use dry sherry from the liquor store. It is pretty cheap, $3-4 for a bottle (if I remember correctly). I have used cooking sherry from the grocery store and it just isn't the same. Even the kids noticed the difference.

We love the sauce at my house so I always double the ingredients for the sauce. We had this for dinner earlier this week and I used 2 pans so the chicken wasn't stacked on itself. It seemed to cook faster and the sauce reduced faster this way!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for posting this. I know your family loves it. Do you think if I use unseasoned bread crumbs it will work ok? I can't find dairy free seasoned ones.

Vicki said...

Yum, Yum, Yum We used to have this frequently ages ago and now we are in love again with it. I did the cooking sherry since I cannot seem to make it into the liquor store and it was still fabulous!