Thursday, December 18, 2008

Kevin's Sweet Potato Casserole

A very good friend of mine, Kevin, sent me this recipe with some background info. It sounds wonderful and his recipes have always ROCKED. LOL I should add him as a contributor! Here's the scoop-

"So Dawnie’s work party this year was held at Ruth’s Chris. So it was good. And Fancy. One of their “signature” sides is a sweet potato casserole. You might remember that my late Grandpa Purcell was the national authority on sweet potatoes and yams. I have never once in my life eaten a forkful of yams and thought,” mmmm…..I would like some more of that!” That is, until Monday night. Ruth’s Chris has the best sweet potatoes ever. Of course I had to do some research yesterday, and I was able to find a recipe last night. I put it to the test, and it did not disappoint! Here it is, and you should put in on the Utah Mom’s blog!!"

So this is for Kev!

3 C Mashed Sweet Potato (5-6 medium sweet potatoes, baked and mashed)
1 C granulated sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, well beaten
½C butter, cut into small chunks

1 C brown sugar
1/3 C Flour
1 C Chopped Pecans
¼ C Melted Butter


To Bake the potatoes:

Wash each potato and rub the entire skin with table salt. Pierce with a fork and place on a cookie sheet. Bake @ 400 degrees for 60-75 min

Peel and mash the potatoes (I threw them into my Kitchen Aid mixer) add the sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter chunks. Mix very well, until the mixture is combined and a little fluffy.
Pour mixture into a butter casserole dish.

Combine Brown sugar, flour, pecans and butter to form a crumble. Top potato mixture with crumble. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Serve Warm

1 comment:

Diane said...

We make a similar dish and it is sooooo good.